For Christmas Eve, I was invited to attend the virtual service of our local Society of Friends (Quakers.) Many may know what a "Quaker Meeting" consists of-sitting in silence, in a meditative state. I had never attended an in-person meeting before, but jumped at the chance to attend the virtual one...for a reason that I will explain below.
As many may know, the Quakers are largely a pacifist faith - they strongly reject military service. As a matter of fact, I believe that in the early days of America, members would even be ex-communicated from the church for enlisting in the military.
However, in the midst of everything, a sect known as the "Fighting Quakers" arose during the American Revolution. The Fighting Quakers were members of the Society of Friends who wanted to serve on the side of the Continental Army, but still wanted to practice the Quaker faith. I personally truly honor the "Fighting Quakers" and their bold move-and apparently they were able to make it work.
Some months ago, I stumbled upon a beautiful song on Youtube: "Lo Boier-Chant of the Gnostics." When I learned that it was actually a code from the Cathars, I became intrigued. Who were they?
The Cathars were a sect of heretic Celtic Christians living in medieval France. They emphasized a peaceful lifestyle rooted deeply in mysticism. Many ultimately met their ends as martyrs at the hand of the Catholic church. As they died, they were known to utter: "The laurel wilts." The laurel was the symbol of the Cathar faith. The last Cathar was martyred in 1321. According to witnesses, his last words were not "The laurel wilts." Rather, it was, "In seven hundred years, the laurel will once again green."
It is now exactly seven hundred years later.
Now here is where my interest in the "Fighting Quakers" comes in. Like the Quakers, the Cathars were a pacifist faith who rejected military service. Do I think that they sound intriguing? I do. Do I feel somewhat of a pull to the faith? I'd be lying if I said I didn't. And the big question: Would I convert if they do, indeed, end up making a comeback this year? That's a complicated question. Would I give up a lot that I hold dear to convert to a pacifist faith? Would I give up the state defense force, knives, tomahawks? This could be a pretty big decision.
But what if there could be another way? What if a "Fighting" sect of Catharism could be worked out...just like the "Fighting Quakers" during the American Revolution? A sect of Catharism for those who wish to practice the faith, but also want to serve in the military? Why couldn't it work out? As said, apparently the "Fighting Quakers" made it work.
Of course, who knows what the newly revived Cathars might believe. For all we know, my idea could be popular with some.
1321-2021. "In seven hundred years, the laurel will once again green." Is it beginning to green again? Some say yes-apparently there are a few that are attempting to make it happen!
I would also like to share a dream that I had the other night that somewhat fits in:
Links to a couple of Cathar hymns:
No comments:
Post a Comment