Monday, September 21, 2020

OHMR AT 2020

 

Another Annual Training with the Ohio Military Reserve is officially in the books, and I think that it's safe to say that this may have been the best one yet!
For AT this year, we were back at Camp Perry on Lake Erie. I am now working with the S-6 shop-ops and communications-and becoming acquainted with radio ops, both HAM and MARKS. Upon my arrival, I was presented with my own personal HAM radio! Since I don't have my HAM license yet (I'm planning on getting it) I as of the immediate present am not allowed to use it outside of OHMR ops. That however, will change once I take the HAM training and get my license. 
For the most part of it, my duties consisted of helping to maintain the ops station "Camp Perry Main." At least, that's what it initially was supposed to be. However, I was assigned to work in the kitchen all day on Tuesday and Thursday-and what do you know, it ended up being a blast! This is actually timely because I actually have been interested in learning to cook for a while now-and they more or less got me started on it!
However, what really meant a lot to me was being commended by my superiors for my service. And I have the challenge coins pictured above to show it-two in three days! (The one on the top is from my first AT.) The one on the bottom left was handed to me by the presiding 1Lt after he heard me directing two PFCs in the kitchen ops. He said that he was incredibly impressed by my leadership skills-and that meant a ton to me.
I must say that the food that I played a role in the preparation of was DELICIOUS!!! I will say that the SGT in charge owns a four star restaurant and his cooking is near impossible to refuse!
Hmm...Monday wasn't too much of a roaring blast as a good chunk of the day was spent standing around the parking lot doing nothing as we were told that POD training would be at 1130...so we got there at 1100...and it didn't get underway until 1400! So yes, by the end of the day we were quite grumpy, and my Criminal Justice professor would say. Oh well, the unofficial motto of the military is "Hurry up and wait!"
But overall, the whole experience was terrific-and now they seriously want me helping in food prep full time! And when I decide that it's time to try something new (I did just transfer to comms, so I want to try them for a while)...I truly may take them up on it!
Overall, I really enjoyed AT 2020. As much as a royal mess as this year has been, it was impressive how they made it all work!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Six Triple Eight

  Ever heard of the only all-female, all-black segregated Army unit shipped to Europe during WWII? Thanks to Netflix's acclaimed new hit...