It's pretty much belated, but I'd like to thank some wonderful people who posted on Tumblr some real-life facts about Cinco De Mayo. Please read these for yourself and understand that not everyone sees holidays like this as harmless...
From a Tumblr Post:
"On May 5, (yes that means Cinco de Mayo) the French sent troops in to
attack the city of Puebla de Los Angeles, but were met from the North by
the indigenos who would not be intimidated or taken down. When the
fight was over and the French retreated, they had lost over 500 men.
Puebla lost less than 100.
Cinco de Mayo isn’t a day to get wasted and dress up as a racist
stereotype. This day is a celebration to remember the Indigenous
Resistance that took place, and the victory that seemed impossible.
Indigenous resistance continues to this day, from the top of turtle
island to the tip of South America. We fight imperialism and colonialism
with pride. Please do not trivialize the important celebration of La
Batalla De Puebla by reinforcing racist tropes. And don’t you dare tell
Mexicans “Happy Mexican Independence Day!” you’ll look like an ignorant
jackass."- #cincodecultura
As a Milesian Gael I've always felt a kinship to my cousins, the Hispanic people, and as someone who, as many may know, feels the same way about Saint
Patrick's Day, I can't stress how much I believe in truly educating yourself and not stereotyping. Cinco De Mayo is over for this year, but maybe next year I'll observe by eating out at a Mexican family owned restaurant and donating to organizations working for immigrant rights...and I advise you to do the same.
The chanters of Galicia, homeland of my great-something grandfather Milesios!
http://www.lallorona.com/1legend.html
Great site on the history of La Llorona, who is somewhat similar to our Banshee legends!

No comments:
Post a Comment